Monday, November 26, 2012

D.E.V. Project Stephany and Zoe











We chose to do problems that illustrated the concepts that we had had the most difficulty with so that we could better understand them.  We chose 2 logarithms, 2 rationals and 1 factor by grouping problem.  This was a slow process because it was sometimes difficult to generate problems that worked and were solveable.  Once we had our problems, we thought it would be fun to do something around the town where we could demonstrate our knowledge and mastery of the concepts to others.  So we decided to go around to local businesses in Mason and, with the permission of the stores, we wrote and then solved the problems we created on their store windows using window crayons.  We got more than a few strange looks from passersby.  (We then thoroughly cleaned the windows.)

We discovered that much of the learning process happened not in solving the problems but in creating them, working backwards.  We gained a greater understanding of not just how the problems and solutions work, but why.

-Zoe and Stephany


Stephany's Reflection

Looking back on some of the problems, I realized how much of an understatement it was when I said I didn't understand. Having to create my own problems was extremely educationally valuable to me because it forced me to make sure I understood the concept. I had fun going around Mason and solving the problems. There was alot of laughing and it was really cool. The part that took the longest was getting five problems created, and solved that worked. Having to do that was really benificial. I looked at some other people's projects as well and those are really helpful to study from. You should definatly continue to use this project. It is a good tool for everyone to use, working through the problems, and looking at each other's projects.

Zoe's Reflection

I really enjoyed this project because it made me think more about the problems I was doing. I chose to do the log problems because I really understood how to do them. But while I understood HOW to do them, I didn't really why they worked or even all the steps. When I do math problems, I usually do most of the problem in my head and don't really think them through. Doing this project I had to slow down and think of how the problem worked. Another good thing about this project is that I got to understand the mechanics of Prezi. I really liked the idea of the project and would hope that it continues for future classes (not just precalc)

1 comment: